International Archives Day!
June 9th is International Archives Day. All around the world, professionals will unite their voices to make you understand why it is important to support archives and the profession. It is an excellent opportunity for people to discover or better know the archives profession, as well as to get in closer touch with a fascinating occupation!
The International Council on Archives (ICA) is a passionate supporter of International Archives Day creating the day in 2007. They decided that June 9th would be the date, as it is the day that ICA was created under the auspices of the UNESCO. The goal of International Archives Day is to:
- Raise awareness among the public of the importance of records and archives, in order to make it understood that records and archives provide the foundation for their rights and identity;
- Raise the awareness of senior decision makers of the benefits of records management for good governance and development;
- Raise the public, private and public sectors’ awareness of the necessity of preserving archives for the long-term, and of providing access to them;
- Promote and bring to the attention of the larger public unique, extraordinary and rare documents preserved in archival institutions;
- Improve the image of records and archives and enhance their visibility globally.
To learn more on what’s happening worldwide on this 6th International Archives Day please visit the ICA Webpage.